WordPress Single Page Web Apps
Slides on Github:
WordPress as an application platform is the next big trend[...]
Le Web, Paris, 2012
- the most flexible and powerful CMS in the world
- fast development cycles and quick learning curve
- incredible community support
What will it take to make WordPress a complete Web Application Framework?
Websites are content-driven
- Users read information on a browser
- The content is organized with a CMS
- Most of the code is on the server-side
Web Apps are user-centric
- Action-oriented rather than information oriented
- Rich user interface
- Independent from browser chrome
- Use native device capabilities
- Off-line support
What makes a great Website?
- User Experience
- Look and Feel
The key to a successful Website is to make it user-centric
Websites and Web Apps are driven by the same principles
A brief history of the WordPress development stack
WordPress as a
WordPress as a Blogging Tool
- Hosting / Environment
- Data Access
WordPress as a CMS
- User access
- Advanced Data Management
WordPress as a Single Page Website
- HTML5 History API
- Client-side Routing
- Client-side Caching
WordPress as a
In modern Web Apps, data is accessed via modularized APIs.
WordPress becomes service.
You can stop using messy PHP templates now.
Real-time communication is one of the foundamental components of Web Apps.
Web Applications should not depend on the internet. (uh?)
As your app scales, modules help organizing your code.
Test Driven Development is essential when your app becomes more and more complex.
Improve automation and productivity with a DRY approach.
Run tests, compile, minify, deploy, ... all of the above.
...SO HOW DO WE
PUT IT ALL TOGETHER?
- Keep configurations separate from your app
- Embrace modular development
The Road To 1kb
A true Web Application Platform must be polyglot, scalable and streamlined.
...but we don’t want
to break WordPress!!
The stack at #BRITEWEB
Environment / Provisioning / Hosting
Other WP stacks
Code best practices
// DO NOT RUN THIS COMMAND sudo rm -rf /
- A fully stacked Web Application Environment speaks many languages. WordPress is one of them.
- The components and technologies that make a Web Application mature and change quickly.
- Keep it DRY and scalable